Another protest on the theme of putting an end to the maltreatment and death of military conscripts was held on March 10 in Baku, Azerbaijan.The event was organized on Facebook in reaction to many recent deaths of army conscripts that continued even after a protest on the same theme was held in January.
A number of activists were preemptively arrested – see here for more on NIDA members – before the protest even started. For example, as many as 20 youth activists were detained during an OSCE training on March 9 and then released in the evening, only after the OSCE contacted a representative of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Interior, according to Turan News Agency.
Public transit to the protest was restricted. Activists from Sumgayit tweeted that they could not get to the protest due to public transit restrictions, and roads going to and from Fountain Square we reportedly blocked. Numerous buses were on hand and during the actual protest many protesters, including well-known journalist Khadija Ismayil, were corralled onto these buses and driven to remote locations such as Gobustan, where they were released.
During the protest, police surrounded Fountain Square. Water cannons, rubber bullets, and pepper spray were reportedly used. Protesters sat on the ground and interlocked their arms in an attempt to hold their ground in the of face rubber bullets and pressurized water, but they were eventually either arrested or forced to flee. Ali Kerimbeyli, the father of a deceased soldier, was detained by police, who dragged him [photo] on the ground. A woman, the mother of a deceased soldier, was also dragged away [photo; video] by police during the protest. It’s reported that some of the rapid reaction police troops may not be from Azerbaijan. Some were heard speaking a language that activists speculate is Kurdish at the protest.
Azerbaijan police placed Long Range Acoustic Devices (LRADs) in several areas and were prepared to use them. According to Contact.az, journalists saw at least four of LRADs on Fountain Square and areas nearby, including in front of ruling party New Azerbaijan Party’s headquarters.
Several protesters sustained injuries. Protester Renat Najafov, who was detained overnight from March 10-11 and fined 600 AZN, will be undergoing surgery on March 13 in connection with facial injuries he sustained. Zaur Akbar was also subjected to rough treatment [see this video, starting around the 30th second]. It’s also been reported that Ruslan Asad injured his arm and Khadija Ismayil has bruising on her face from participation in the protest. Emin Abbasov reported through Twitter that some of the people being released from police stations on March 11 had problems walking due to maltreatment at the hands of law enforcement officers.
In total, at least 72 people were detained, although some people have reported that figure might be as high as 100. On March 10 approximately two dozen protesters who were held overnight until March 11 and taken to court. Many of them were fined between 300 and 600 AZN. Five of them were sentenced to administrative detention for 6-7 days. In addition, NIDA activist Ilkin Rustemzade, who was detained by police prior to the March 10 protest, was sentenced to 6 days of administrative detention by the Khatai Court on March 11. In total, protesters have been fined approximately 10,000 AZN.
THIS PAGE WILL BE UPDATED AS MORE INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.
THESE LISTS ARE INFORMAL, GENERATED FROM SOCIAL MEDIA, AND NOT AUTHORITATIVE
- Shahin Novruzlu (NIDA) – arrested March 7, three months pretrial detention
- Bakhtiyar Guliyev (NIDA) – March 7, three months pre-trial detention
- Mammed Azizov (NIDA) – March 7, three months pre-trial detention
- Ebulfez Gurbanli (PF) – March 9, detained at OSCE training and then released
- Nihad Huseyn (PF) – March 9, detained at OSCE training and then released
- Jamil Hajiyev (PF) – March 9, detained at OSCE training and then released
- Samir Asadli (PF) – March 9, detained at OSCE training and then released
- Punhan Imamli (PF) – March 9, detained at OSCE training and then released
Note: As many as 20 ppl detained at OSCE training in Novkhani, suburb of Baku and released in the evening only after OSCE contacted Ministry of Interior, Turan News Agency reports
- Mehman Zamaddinov (NIDA) – March 10, prior to protest
- Ilkin Rustemzade Azad Gənclik (Free Youth) Organization – March 9, prior to protest, held in 34th police dept., and now the Khatai District Court sentenced him to 6 days administrative detention
- Dashqin Melikov – March 9, detained and released
- Nijat Amirslanov (Musavat Youth Org.) – March 9, taken to police dept. by people who introduced themselves as police of Seybael 20th Police Dept, whereabouts still unknown as of 7 p.m. EST 3/10
- Elshen Aghayev (PF) – to court Monday (?), whereabouts reportedly now unknown
- Tofig Dadashov (PF) – whereabouts unknown, 500 AZN fine
- Babek Hasanov (PF) 6 days detention
- Elvin Bayjan (PF) 7 day detention
- Mehman Mehmanzade (ADP) 7 days detention
- Turkel Alisoy (PF) 7 days detention
- Mahammed Mejidli (PF) 7 days
- Ilkin Rustemzade Azad Gənclik (Free Youth) Organization – March 9, prior to protest, held in 34th police dept., then Khatai District Court sentenced him to 6 days administrative detention
Detained and Fined
TOTAL 10,000 AZN
- Abulfaz Sadiqbeyli (Musavat) – fined 600 AZN
- Agil Aliyev (PF) – fined 600 AZN
- Azer Sadikhov (ADP) – fined 500 AZN
- Enver Huseynli (PF) – fined 500 AZN
- Ilkin Aliyev – fined 500 AZN
- Javid Garayev (REAL) – fined 600 AZN
- Nihad Huseyn (PF) – fined 500 AZN
- Nijat Amirslanov (Musavat) – fined 200 AZN
- Osman Akhmedov (ADP) – fined 500 AZN
- Ramin Musayev (PF) – fined 400 AZN
- Rauf Mammadov (Musavat) – fined 500 AZN
- Renat Najafov (PF) – fined 600 AZN
- Shamil Beydullayev (Musavat) – fined 500 AZN
- Taleh Mammedli (PF) – fined 500 AZN
- Tezekhan Mirelemli (PF) – fined 500 AZN
- Tofig Dadashov (PF) – whereabouts unknown, 500 AZN fine
- Vusal Bayramov (PF) – fined 600 AZN
- Zaur Akbar – fined 300 AZN
- Zaur Mammedov – fined 600 AZN
- Zaur Mammedov – fined 500 AZN
- Telah Mammedov – nose injury, was at hospital after being fined and released on Monday
- Renat Najafov – facial bruising (link to photo) possible fracture, in hospital, but was kept in detention over night, police called EMS who said he needed to be treated in a hospital, but they still kept him in jail over night before first issuing a fine against him and then releasing him, will have surgery March 13
- Enver Huseynli -injuries
- Khadija Ismayil – facial bruising
- Ruslan Asad – arm injury
- Fergana Novruzova – journalist working at protest, was wearing yellow journalist’s vest, facial/eye bruising (photo at protest; photo after protest)
Detained and released
- Abulfaz Gurbanli (PF)
- Aghababa Mamedov
- Anar Namazov (ADP)
- Almas Yenisey – released
- Alovset Aliyev (VHP
- Araz Slangue – released
- Asima Nesirli (VHP)(released)
- Ayaz Khalilov (Musavat) – released
- Babek Gasimov (NIDA) – released
- Bashir Tural
- Beyim Hasanli – driven to Gobustan area and released
- Eli Kerimbeyli – father of deceased soldier, was dragged on ground by police when he was arrested
- Elnur Malikbeyli – released
- Elovset Eliyev (released)
- Elvin Camalov
- Erkin Gadirli (REAL) – released
- Hafiz Ferhadov (ADP)
- Huseyn Eminli (ADP)
- Intiqam Aliyev – released
- Ismayil Kerim
- Kamran Gasanli – was wearing journalist vest, works for Etatist.com
- Kenan Gasimli (NIDA) – released
- Khadija Ismayilova – driven to Gobustan and released
- Khatai Gurbanli (ADP)
- Kheyal Kerimli (FYO)
- Mahammed Gurbanov (NIDA) – released
- Mirza Ismayilov
- Nijat Masimov (NIDA) – released
- Nijat Umuyev – released
- Nushaba Atakishiyeva (PF) – driven to Gobustan and released
- Orkhan Babayev (ADP)
- Perviz Suleyman (FYO)
- Ramin Huseynov
- Rasul Huseynli (NIDA) – released
- Rasul Jafarov (REAL) – released
- Ruslan Asad – released
- Ruslan Izzətli
- Ruslan Rajabli (NIDA) -released
- Sabir Memmedov
- Sabuhi Guliyev (VHP)
- Seadet Abdullazade (VHP)(released)
- Seadet Huseynova (ADP)
- Serkhan Alisoy
- Sevinj Mahmudova (VHP) – released
- Tural Shakarli (NIDA) – released
- Tural Mammedov (ADP)
- Turan Aliyev (ADP)
- Turkan Aziz (VHP)
- Turgut Gambar
- Ulker Rzayeva (ADP)
- Vasif Meharramli
- Zohrab Ismayil (REAL) – released
Police, Demonstrators Clash In Baku. March 10, 2013. RFERL.
Bakıda «Əsgər ölümünə yox!» aksiyası – 10 Mart. March 10, 2013. RFERL.
Number of Protesters at Fountain Square Reached Three Thousands. March 10, 2013. Contact.
Hundreds of People Hold Protest Rally at Fountain Square. March 10, 2013. Contact.
About Sixty Protesters Detained. March 10, 2013. Contact.
Azeri police detain 60 in army deaths protest. March 10, 2013. AFP.
Fəvvarələr meydanında gənclərin etiraz aksiyası – şəkillər. March 10, 2013. BBC Azeri.
Rubber Bullets Used in Azerbaijan to End Protest. March 10, 2013. AP.
Azerbaijan police break up protest against abuse in the army. March 10, 2013. Reuters.
Police Scatter Demonstrators in Capital of Azerbaijan. March 10, 2013. NYT.
Azeri police briefly detain 20 participants in OSCE training in Baku. March 10, 2013. Turan.
Protesters arrested in Azerbaijan demo. March 10, 2013. Euronews.
Amnesty International, March 11, 2013
U.S. Embassy Statement, March 12, 2013
UPDATED 13 MARCH 00:20 BAKU